Monday, December 27, 2010

Snowstorm + cookies = bliss


We've had quite a storm here on the east coast this week.  I have seen people calling it "Snowmaggedon" but I think that is a bit much.  We got about a foot of snow, and it was pretty windy and cold, but nothing like an Apocalypse.   Sheesh.



The big boys went out with some friends and made some money shoveling out the neighborhood.  The two little ones stayed home with me most of the day and we took a sledding break after we got our driveway shoveled out. 



No one wanted to come in, so I bribed them with cookies.  "Come on, we'll go home and make cookies."  It worked. 

I had it in my mind to make oatmeal cookies but Mr. O had other ideas.  He was talking about brown cookies, star cookies and circle cookies - I still don't know what exactly he meant, but when I found a recipe that looked easy, I showed him a picture of the finished product and he agreed.  I started with this recipe for Gluten Free Vanilla Wafers and as usual, tweaked it a bit to make it work for us.  I'll post the recipe below.

Here's how our cookies came out - they tasted pretty good too!


I used Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips in some of the cookies - they are allergy friendly and so yummy!  And put in some Polaner All Fruit Jelly in others.  Of course, Mr. Picky only likes the plain ones so I had to make a lot of those. 


Here's the recipe the way I made it:

Ingredients:

•4 large eggs

•1 1/3 cup sucanat

•1 tablespoon vanilla extract

•2 teaspoon grated fresh orange peel

•Pinch salt

•2-3 cups gluten-free all purpose flour mix (with xantham or guar gum in the mix) See note!  I started with 2 cups of a rice flour baking mix with guar gum, and the rest Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour and about 1/4 tsp. xantham gum.

•1 cup melted, cool unsalted butter OR your favorite dairy-free butter substitute - I used 1/2 cup Earth Balance soy free buttery spread and 1/2 cup canola oil and it seemed to work out fine.

•All fruit Jelly, chocolate chips or anything else you'd like to put on top.  (Optional)

 

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375F / 190C

Lightly grease your baking pan

 

Combine eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat on high until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla, orange peel and salt and beat to combine. Gradually add 2 cups of gluten-free flour and beat just until combined. Slowly drizzle melted butter into the mixture and beat until combined.   If dough is not thick enough, keep adding flour - I used roughly 3 cups to get the right texture, and even then it looked a little looser than most cookie dough, definitely not thick enough to press like typical sugar cookies.

 

Drop dough by heaping rounded teaspoons on prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch space between cookies - it will spread slightly when baking.  If you want to add jelly or chocolate chips, use a small spoon to make a well in the center of the cookie and add the jelly or chips.
Bake in preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown. Cool.

Makes about 36 cookies.


NOTE:  If your gluten-free flour mix DOES NOT contain xantham gum or guar gum add 1/4 teaspoon of your favorite gum to this recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment