Monday, January 23, 2012

Zooey and Emily

 


So, I think I am related to the Deschanels.  You've probably heard me say this before (and you might hear me say it again).  It isn't about looks, although I will admit to having a serious set of Zooey style bangs in my early 20's. 


And er ... I guess I still have them ... maybe now they are more Emily style.


But it really is not about the looks.  Or the bangs.  It is more because every time I read something about these fabulous women, it reminds me of my family, or me.  So I can picture myself as their slightly older sister, cousin or aunt.   Not THAT much older, OK?  Just a little older.

Just for fun, let's review a few Deschanel facts.  (And in case you don't know who I am talking about, Zooey Deschanel is an actress who is currently starring in the comedy New Girl, and Emily Deschanel is her sister, an actress starring in the series Bones.)

Zooey fact: She collects oversized sunglasses and vintage coats (I collect vintage sunglasses, close enough and let's not talk about how many coats are in my closet).


Zooey also says things like this:  "I want to go on a coffee vacation. It's a vacation where you drink MORE coffee than usual and no one gets weird or judgy about it."  and  "Coffee, you really are the best!"   Really, I didn't think anyone else in the WORLD talked about coffee as much as I do, but apparently I was wrong.  And have I told you all the story about my friend's mom who pulled her aside to check if I was secretly taking drugs because I had sooo much coffee one night that I was bouncing like a superball?  Coffee really is the best.
 

I can't neglect Emily - how about this quote:  "Buying used clothes is cheaper. And going to a farmers’ market is a lot cheaper than going to a pricier health-food market."    Have I not been saying this same thing for years??  And my girl is talking about getting things cheaper?  Sweet.


Now for the food issues.  Emily Deschanel is a vegan.  I am not vegan at this point in my life, but used to be close to it and I still try to make responsible food choices.  I found her reasoning to be very similar to mine.  " It turns out it makes a very big impact on the environment to eat fewer animal products, which cause more greenhouse gases than all of transportation combined."  On my fridge??  This little beauty, to remind me to always try to keep the animal products to a minimum:


It says, "Guess what?  A mere 10% reduction in meat consumption by Americans would free up enough land to grow 12 million tons of grain - enough to save the 20 million people who starve to death on our planet each year."  It is old so the numbers are probably not up to date, but I like the reminder.

And finally, the reason I decided to talk about the Deschanels today, this article that mentions that Zooey is sensitve to wheat, dairy and eggs.  So I'm guessing she is on the GF/CF diet herself. 


Hey girls, if you want to come over sometime, I'll take you to the farm, we can do a little thrift shopping, have some coffee and then I'll whip you up a nice vegan dinner and some magic donuts.  GF/CF of course.


3 comments:

  1. OMG, I LOVE the comparison pics w/ the bangs! lol! And yeah, it kinda sounds like you all should meet! And get coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it Lynda who took me aside and asked if you were on drugs?

    ReplyDelete